Saturday, August 1, 2009

Funny People Review!

Funny People - Rated R; 2 hours and 20 minutes; Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen; Directed by Judd Apatow.

Should I See it and Where: See it in theatres...but know that it's long. 

If you know me at all, you would know that I have been a die-hard, obsessed Sandler fan since i was like 10. I've see everyone of his films and also own all of them (yes all of them including Going overboard and Little Nicky). I've also been a huge fan of Judd Apatow because i really think he knows how to make modern day comedies that are relatable and hilarious at the same time. So obviously when these two announce that they were joining forces, I instantly got excited even sexually excited (JK). So I knew regardless of how that movie was I was going to somewhat enjoy it because I usually love everything these two people touch so I will acknowledge that i might be a little biased when reviewing this movie.

Overall, I really liked it. However, I didn't love it. It is very possible that with more viewings of this film, I will eventually love it but as of right now, I thought it was a really good but flawed film.

What Works.
Adam Sandler is fantastic. And i am not just saying that. Everyone i saw this with agreed. It is the best thing he has ever and might ever do. He is perfect in this role, maybe because he is playing a slightly different version of himself but he nails every moment with clarity and perfection.

The supporting Cast is great. I really enjoyed how every character has major flaws.

The first 90 minutes. If the movie ended here, it would of been the best film of the year. The first 90 minutes is one of the darkest, deepest types of comedy films I have seen. 

I loved the Opening of the Film. Just something that happened and what could of seem a little phony and weird, but worked to perfection. I won't give it away but it is awesome.

The way Adam Sandler's character handles the news of his illness. When most characters in movies handle death in ways we only wish we could, Sandler's George Simmons handles it in a way not really told before. This movie isn't about discovering who you are or trying to make up for all the mistakes you've made in your life. he handles like most people would. 

The film is one of the most authentic looks at the world of stand-up comedy I've ever seen.

The movie looks fantastic. This is Apatow's best looking feature which probably is because he hired Jansuz Kaminski (Spielberg's Cinematographer)

What Doesn't Work

Really, there is only one big problem which makes this movie suffer in a way.It is way too long. And if the movie needed to be 2 hours and 20 minutes, I would be fine with that but it didn't have to be. This movie almost feels like 2 films in 1. The problem might be that it is Apatow's first time with final cut which means he had final say in how the film turns out. This can be a problem with any director when they are tackling something that personal to them. The last Hour of the film really could of been tighten down to make this movie flow and fit a lot better than it does. Not saying that the stuff is bad, it just deflates the movies story and just flatlines.

The movie also can be a little vulgar but not nearly as much as Knocked Up or Superbad

Funny People is not just about George Simmons' struggle with death. It sees that struggle within the  world of being a performer, a society that has no rules where everything is a competition and where when being a successful performer means you might not have any real friends. Funny People has many big laughs, punctuated by some really striking moments of contemplation and reflection, i just wished it was a little shorter. 
B+/B

No comments:

Post a Comment